About the Service
Regular periodontal exams are vital in the maintenance of your oral health, as they can reveal evidence of gum disease in its early stages.They can help our dentists to diagnose gum diseases on time and provide with the right treatment. These exams can also reveal receding gums, exposed roots, tooth grinding and other problems, making periodontal exams at our Gentle Family Dentistry office vital to maintaining proper oral health.
The periodontal examination includes:
- For any lumps or abnormal areas in the mouth
- Whether any of your teeth are missing or loose
- The color, texture, size, and shape of your gums
- Whether you have fillings, crowns, bridges, dentures or implants
- How much plaque is on your teeth
- The depth of the space between your tooth and gum
Gingivitis is the first stage of periodontal disease that causes inflammation of the gums. Dental x-rays can determine if the inflammation has spread to the supporting structures on the teeth so treatment can be started to correct the problem. Periodontitis occurs when gingivitis goes untreated, which makes periodontal exams vital to preventing and putting an end to gum diseases.
Dr. Farr will complete a periodontal exam with each visit. However, we must emphasize the importance of regular, routine visits to our Gentle Family Dentistry office.